Friday, September 9, 2011

Purple Coneflower

I'm back! I was on a brief hiatus while getting my children ready to return to school. Now they have settled in and I can return to my blog (Yeah!). I took this picture earlier this year while on vacation in North Florida and have been meaning to write about it ever since.

Purple Coneflower (Echinacea purpurea)

Purple Coneflower (N) is a wonderful nectar plant. Okay, I admit I am impartial to pink (one of my favorite colors) but I also love how these blooms stand up and reach for the sun.



They grow 2-4 feet tall and bloom in the spring and summer here in Central Florida. They prefer light shade which promotes flower and leaf color. Aside from attracting butterflies, Purple Coneflower is also useful as cut flowers, mass plantings, or as a border in the garden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

2010 Design by sweet cheeky designs