Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Thank You Little Ladybugs!

One of of the pests that "bug" milkweeds are aphids. These are tiny insects that damage plants by piercing the plant and sucking the plant juices. This causes leaves to curl and flowerbuds to harden. Aphids can transmit harmful plant viruses too.  They are usually about 1/8 inch in size and can be green, yellow, black, brown, pink, blue, or white.


Photo by Eran Finkle, Flickr

So what can you do about these little creatures? Well, I found this beneficial insect on my milkweed yesterday...

Ladybug on Milkweed

Ladybugs eat aphids and I found a trio having a mid morning feast. I find ladybugs so cute and delightful.  I love their vibrant red color and  black polka dots. And of course, they keep those pesky aphids in check for me.

If you do not find ladybugs eating your aphids,  there are a couple of other things you can do. You can blast them off with a stream of water or you can spray them with insecticidal soap. Both of these methods are safe for people and the environment and have worked very well for me.  You can purchase insecticidal soap at your local nursery or make you own.  Mix two tablespoons of dishwashing liquid (without a degreaser ) to a gallon of water. Add this to a spray bottle and apply weekly as needed. 


I'm heading off to my brother's wedding so i'll be out of touch for a short time. 'Til then, happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

2010 Design by sweet cheeky designs