Monday, May 21, 2012

Passiflora 'Incense'

Hello butterfly gardening friends! I know some time has passed since you last heard from me. My family moved into a new home and this was a much bigger task than I anticipated. There are still plenty of boxes to unpack but we are adjusting well to our new surroundings.

Did I mention we got a new puppy too??

Bailey, our Labradoodle

Well, a new house means a clean slate in the garden. I took what I could from my old garden - some milkweed of course, a stem from my white Angel Trumpet, some herbs... but most of this new garden will be new. I have lots of ideas swirling around in my head but unpacking all of those boxes has taken priority.

I did go by the local nursery a couple of weeks ago and couldn't resist buying this:


This is Passiflora 'Incense.' Now I try to grow native as much as possible but when I saw this striking purple color and smelled the beautiful flower, I had to have it! It has such a wonderful fragrance.  This passionflower is a hybrid of Passiflora incarnata (which is Native) and Passiflora cinnicata. Some of you may recognize Passiflora incarnata as Maypop.  P. 'Incense' is a fast growing vine that tolerates sun or shade and flowers from spring through summer. Sometimes people are hesitant to plant passionflower when I suggest it for their butterfly gardens because it grows so vigorously. I planted mine in a pot and it is doing great. There are lots of flowers and it has successfully attracted Gulf Fritillaries. We found 3 caterpillars munching on its leaves this week! 



In case you are wondering, I bought this passionflower (and pot) at Luka's and the trellis at Restore.

2 comments:

  1. I'm in Irvine Ca. with lots of Fritillary in my yard all day 50 at a time. My Passion flower vine is on a fence 5 years old or so and full of cat's every year since we planted it. Cocoon's everywhere they just love it and we love watching them. Today I bought Milkweed I saw Monarch cat's already on them too. Can't wait to plant them. I just love your site so glad I found it today. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your butterfly garden sounds great! Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete

 

2010 Design by sweet cheeky designs